In an era when the definition of what is cool is defined by the people around us I’d like to pay tribute to the one thing that is timeless, cross cultural and is ubiquitous at every high school and summer camp. PDA. You heard me. Good old, downright, tried and true Public Display of Affection. Lovely, right?

Ah, love…
Love makes the world go ‘round.
What the world needs now, is love, sweet love.
All you need is love.

WRONG! All you need is not love. And for some of us, we don’t need to see your love to have our world go round. Because my dear friends, now it seems as though PDA is not just for the young and horny hearty. It seems as though our senior citizens (definition: anyone above 40) have found their moment to shine as well.

This weekend, I was lucky to be in a nice little tourist town where people from around the globe love to congregate. And it was everywhere - lips on lips, lips on neck, hand in hair, hands on back, hands in places I don’t think I want to write about. And it was not just the young people, it was everyone. I bet you think I was in Ft. Lauderdale, or Carmel or New Orleans, right? Nope, I was right here in the good ol’ Bible Belt of San Antonio, Texas. What I marveled at though, was that it was everywhere, and I mean everywhere. The young, the old, the plump, the thin, the chic, the geeks – everyone was in on the act! And no one seemed to mind the old gray-hairs were jumping in on the action either.

I used to think dry humping was just for the young pre-pubes that couldn’t get enough of each other. When did tonsil hockey become so socially acceptable for all ages? Have I missed something here? I don’t mind seeing a couple in love and when that couple is between the fresh age range of 15-30, I can totally get behind the need for all of the touching. But seriously, grandpa, keep it in the gurney. None of us want to know what you and Nanna are doing later on tonight with your public preview to the big show. I am no prude, but I just want to say that though PDA is great for about half of the population, the love potion is not for all to imbibe.

-E

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home